YOU ARE NOT ALONE!



Saturday, January 4, 2014

Hardware Removal - Best Decision EVER!

I had the hardware removed on November 22nd, 2013.  I was a little apprehensive as I still had some PTSD from the original surgery and recovery, so I was really scared that I was going to be miserable again.  NOT SO! 

Surgery was scheduled for 7am.  I arrived at the hospital at 6am and was in a car on my way home by 10:30am!  They gave me a nerve block in the recovery room that lasted the first couple of days, it was fantastic, I didn't feel any pain!!!  The only problem was that it made my whole left side of my neck and face numb as well, which included my entire tongue, and I ended up burning my tongue on hot soup and not even realizing it until 2 days later!  After the nerve block wore off there was some pain but very little in comparison to the original surgery.  And when I say "very little", I mean not even in the same category at all!  The only pain medicine I took was 1 oxycodone before bed the first 4 nights so I could sleep, but was so tired throughout the day that after that I switched to only normal doses of Ibuprofen (2 tablets with each of the 3 meals) and that was it!  And that was only for about another week or two.  I am also taking a Calcium supplement daily. 

The only real limitation is not to lift anything heavier than 5 lbs for a couple/few months.  This is difficult to follow because I feel so great I have to constantly remind myself not to do things.  Especially when I am out shopping, I can't shuffle bags from one hand to the other like I normally do.  I bought a huge insulated shopping bag at Costco for about $8.00 and carry it with me everywhere.  I am able to throw it over my good shoulder and put all my purchases in that one bag.  I did all my Christmas shopping with that bag!  It is really big, it measures about 24" wide x 16" tall and is about 8" on the sides when fully expanded.  It is like the one in this photo:


As for the incision, they cut my arm exactly through the scar I had from the original incision, and closed it with steri-strips surgical tape with guaze and a tegaderm bandage over the gauze.  I was able to shower the first day but had to take care not to saturate the bandaged area, but it was okay to let the water trickle over it.  And I was given instructions not to wash within an inch around the bandage so the soap would not dissolve the adhesive.  After 3 days I was able to take the bandage off and just leave the steri-strips on until they fell off on their own which was at about day 10.  I chose to replace the Tegaderm bandage and fresh guaze pads underneath for a week because the incision was still sensitive and I didn't want my bra strap rubbing that area.  It helped a lot.  The Tegaderm bandages are expensive but I was able to buy them over the counter at CVS and I used my flexible spending plan to pay for them so it didn't hurt the pocket.  (They were anywhere from $1.50 to $4.00 each depending on the size).  My skin is very sensitive to regular bandaid adhesives and the Tegaderm bandages didn't bother me at all!  I have stocked up to use the smaller ones are normal bandages around the house when I will need them.
After the steri-strips fell off my scar looked really good, the skin was healing nicely but was still a little sensitive so I either used a bandage or just tucked a washcloth under my bra strap t help with the rubbing.  I gently cleaned the scar and it took another week or so to clean away all the "gunk". 

I went back to work 10 days after my surgery and was a little sore, I do desk work and am on a computer all day long, so I brought a soft pillow to rest my arm on either on the desk or in my lap just to support my arm and it helped. 

I had a 2 week follow-up with the P.A., they took x-rays and said everything looked good and to keep doing what I was doing.  I don't have a picture of my x-ray but will post it when I get it.  It was weird to see the little circular spots where the screws had gone through the bone.  My next follow-up is with the surgeon at 6 weeks which is this coming Monday and I'm hoping those holes are all filled up with new strong bone! 

The bottom line is that from day one of this recovery my arm has felt fantastic - I knew the hardware was bothering me, I had pain from it often and was always aware of it.  Once it was removed I honestly feel GREAT!  Almost pre-injury kind of GREAT!  This truly was the best decision for me to make, and I am so happy I did it!  I am anxious to see what the future brings when I am cleared to ride a bike again, it will be interesting to see how I feel when I am using the arm normally again.  I will keep you posted!!! 

10 comments:

  1. If you don't mind me asking- how did you break it? I fractured my humerus in 3 places. Have the hardware. 1.5 years post op, I'm having pain. They've x rayed and no reason for the pain. I'm convinced it's the hardware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy - I broke my arm in a bicycle wreck. I strongly recommend you having the hardware removed if your surgeon says your bone is healed enough to do it. Get a second opinion if you feel you need it. I saw 3 different surgeons (I was living in NC and in CA and didn't know where I was going to have the surgery) and they all agreed that taking the hardware out was a good idea. I promise you, I was skeptical because I was in so much pain all of the time, I couldn't imagine a time without pain, but literally from the moment I got out of surgery I could tell a difference. It was amazing. My body had been fighting that metal for so long, and all the sudden I felt "normal" again! I still have pain but only about 5% of the time, usually when I try to open a really tight jar or something - so I try to not do that! Other than that I am 100% better. No, make it 200% better! Get that hardware out, you'll feel like a new person!!! Good luck!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, i have just read your blog with great interest. i have a similar injury to yours and had surgery two weeks ago. i actually broke my shoulder four weeks ago. i am still in a great deal of pain, specially at night. i sleep sitting up in bed, supported by pillows. however i wake up at around 2 am with a very sore arm, i take painkillers and then i wake up at 6 am and my arm is so sore i have to get out of bed. do you have any advice. maybe it is the way i am sleeping. many thanks. sue from auckland. by the way it is my right arm and i am right handed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise - mine was my right shoulder and i am right handed. You are a bit ahead of me so hope youre getting better.
      This is my story
      http://fracturedhumerus.com

      Delete
  4. You have my sympathy - I fractured my humerus in four parts five months ago. I have a plate and 10 pins put in and a long way to go to recover
    This is my story : http://fracturedhumerus.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am on the waitlist for hardware removal and can't wait to have it removed. I'm in constant pain from the plate and still don't have full range of motion back after 7 months

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am on the waitlist for hardware removal and can't wait to have it removed. I'm in constant pain from the plate and still don't have full range of motion back after 7 months

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! I am so grateful to you for writing this journal! I feel like I am losing my mind, as I have been dealing with constant pain in my arm/shoulder since I car accident and a rod insertion 14 years ago. I've been to many Drs and Pt's and not much help. I finally found a Doctor who is willing to do the rod removal, but he says there is only a 50% chance or will help.

    What I'd like to ask from you, if I may, is what were your symptoms before you did the removal surgery? I have constant pain in my upper arm and shoulder area as well as behind the arm, near the shoulder blade, the bicep and neck. Thank you in advance and hoping you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    I had a commuited fracture of the proximal humerus in 3 parts. Had the surgery with plate and screws 3 weeks ago. Started physiotheraphy straight after the surgery but range of motion was very poor. I am so sad as I dunnoe what my future beholds as I am a 38 yr old engineer. Is this thread still alive? I hope to see people who have the same condition share their experience. I will log in here at least once a week. Pardon me for my poor English as I can't think properly with the lack of sleep since this incident.

    Bernard

    ReplyDelete